Pick one prompt.* Write without thinking for fifteen minutes. Enjoy the process.
- Make a list of five things you are proud of. Then a list of five things you are ashamed of. Pick one. Write about yourself or a character in a piece of fiction. Go.
- Finish this sentence: If I could turn back time …
- Describe three kinds of rain.
- Compare happiness to an animal.
- What do you know about ice cream?
- Make a list of items forgotten on a trip. Make a list of items packed but didn’t need. Now write a scene/story/essay inspired by one of the items on those lists.
- Write the full name of someone you love. Using only those letters write a list of words that could be made from those letters. Write a scene using only those words/letters.
- What is the longest time you’ve waited for someone or something. Why did you wait?
- Write a list of words with sounds you like or dislike.
*These prompts can be found in our favorite writing books: The 3 a.m. Epiphany, Pencil Dancing, Room to Write, Escaping Into The Open, Old Friend from Far Away, and Writing Alone and with Others.